Monday, February 4, 2008

Renewing the Soldier's Mind

The Army has become increasingly aware of the importance of the soldier’s mind. If you saw the movie “Patton,” you know there was a scene where the General slapped a soldier who was suffering from battle fatigue (known today as PTSD). But there was another scene later in the movie where Patton kissed a battle-fatigued soldier. The General had learned an invaluable lesson. And we are still learning that lesson today. We must be renewed in our minds.

This month we begin a season of the Christian calendar known as “Lent.” Beginning on Ash Wednesday (Feb 6), Christians traditionally observe the passion of Christ. This is popularly observed by giving up something (e.g. desserts, recreation, television etc.). I still remember going to a Roman Catholic Ash Wednesday service with my assistant SGT John Arvin in 2003. Just listening to the conversations that took place beyond the Chapel, I could sense soldiers—already without their families—who still desired to sacrifice more in order to grow in their faith.

I am looking at this season of Lent as a time of increasing relationships with fellow Christians. In the weeks ahead, I will become better acquainted with service members in Lutheran, Catholic, Episcopalian, Methodist, and other denominations, and find encouragement for my own faith journey. I am certain that I will be amazed to see what God is doing in our lives. We Christians are taught to see our brokenness; and also to see the wholeness that we find together in Christ.

This truly is a time for renewal. We need especially to be renewed in our minds in preparation for the testing that we will face for the rest of this year. I am reminded of those back home who are praying for us. I am grateful for the dozens of soldiers I have met thus far who are committed to participation in ministry. I see challenges that are impossible for humanity unless we receive divine strength to face them. I know that strength is available!

Blessings!

Daniel

No comments: